Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grass Clippings and Realizations

Grass is lovely. It has an interesting smell (I haven't decided if it's a pleasant smell or not) when it's freshly clipped. However, fresh clippings tend to stain socks and shoes...

This afternoon I partook in my first lawn-mowing experience of the season. My dad and I spent part of the afternoon mowing my grandmother's lawn. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it - in part because my father took the larger portion of the lawn, but mainly because the sun filled the sky, the air was semi-warm, and my grandmother's tree and flower assortments were quite beautiful!

The sights (and sounds of nothing but the lawnmower) reminded me of what I like most about Spring:
  • Warm Breezes
  • Green[er] Grass
  • Baby Leaves
  • Wildflowers
  • TULIPS
  • Sunny mornings
  • Snow-free sidewalks
  • Songs of birds

I realize that it has been quite some time since I've posted, but let me assure you that I have not learned any less since that time. I've reflected multiple times (to myself - never in writing) about what I have learned this school year. At the present moment, the one thing that sticks out to me is this:

One should enjoy each and every day. After all, each day is a gift from God. Often times I find myself rushing through one day with the simple goal of making it to the next day. What kind of goal is that? By constantly wishing that I were in a different moment than the one I'm living in, it is nearly impossible to enjoy each day. I want to take advantage of the multiple opportunities that I have to sit outside and enjoy God's creation - distanced from the world, quieted in Spirit, and contented by beauty.

Over and Out -

Melissa

P.S. I'm getting quite excited to start my adventure at the Grand Canyon. While the surface of my emotions contain a bit of fear and nervousness about the travel and arrival, there is a deeper part of me that cannot wait to see what God has in store for me this summer. But, while I wait for my Arizona departure date, I will be sure to enjoy each and every day :)

No comments: