Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lessons from the Rim

So, it may appear that I have not learned anything for quite some time. Let me assure you that this is not the case. In fact, I've learned a great deal since my last post. This summer was a summer of lessons, and a summer that is only briefly explained by stating the following:

I do not have words to express how much I enjoyed this summer. My ACMNP experience is one that I hope NEVER to forget. I learned how to appreciate God’s overwhelming love in the midst of feeling so alone. I learned that stepping out in faith, despite how many nervous/fearful emotions are present, is a step that will never be regretted. Before departing for the Grand Canyon, I questioned what I was doing and told myself that I wasn’t right for the job. Looking back, those thoughts have been crushed. God made me right for the job. I have heard it said before that “God does not call the equipped. God equips the called”. There is no way that I felt like I was equipped – that I would be the Godly woman that the canyon visitors needed to see. No way! Because I willing to do what God wanted, however, I was blessed beyond measure. It wasn’t me; it was Him.
This summer was also valuable in respecting other Christians. There was a point in the summer where our team was experiencing great tension because of differences in what we held as right/wrong. Sitting back and listening to an argument between the group one night, I was forced, mentally, to figure out where I stood. While I didn’t change my personal values that night, I do feel like I was able to recognize the fact that there are going to be situations similar to that that come up for the rest of my life. I need to stand firm with what I believe – not accepting actions that I disagree with – but I have to remain free of judgment. Certain disagreements are trivial to the real meaning of life. We are here to glorify God. We are created for His glory. Period. I must keep this in mind always and realize that although I may have disagreements with other Christians, we have a common bond that is more important than anything – we both serve Christ Jesus.
I still reflect every single day about my experience this past summer. I feel like my ACMNP experience and how I value it will continue to manifest itself in different ways. I am continually recognizing new things that I learned from this summer and I am continuing to fall more in love with the people I met this summer.

FUN THINGS I LEARNED:
- Doop is a phenomenal word
- Energizing lip-balm is not worth the expensive price tag
- Concrete picnic tables make terrible beds
- Carry lots of water when you hike
- I like Irish Blessings
- Nickelback sounds like they sing while on the toilet
- Squirrels deserve to have rocks thrown at them
- Kicking, jumping, and cartwheeling on the edge of the Grand Canyon make for splendid headless photos
- Only women should drink diet sodas. Real men drink real soda
- Not everyone knows the name of the Grand Canyon


As you can see, my months of non-posting have not been months of non-learning. Golly, I've been learning a lot!

-Melissa

1 comment:

K-hope said...

Wow, Melissa. Thanks for sharing all of that, seriously. It's awesome to hear about what God is doing in your life. :)